Skip to content Know Your Council

Guide to Councils

Consultation and complaints

Councils are responsible for a wide range of activities. They make significant decisions that affect their municipality and will often consult with affected residents on these decisions. Your council’s website will provide more information on the services it offers.

    The What councils do section of this guide contains information to help you understand your council’s responsibilities.

    Different councils offer different services. In doing this, each one takes into account the needs of its residents as well as financial and legal restrictions that bind them.


    Many complaints can easily be resolved. To find out how to make a complaint, go to Complaints.


    Councils regularly conduct consultations with members of their community and other relevant entities. See Consultation for more details.